Thursday 20 October 2011

Last Call for FMP!

MEDIA NEWS

I am being bombarded via email with reminders about the launch of the Find My Past TV show tonight on the Yesterday channel (9pm). So I'm passing the message on: don't forget! You can view a little taster at the programme's website, and then there's their Facebook page. If you miss the show, hopefully you'll find a way of catching up with it via one of these links.

There are also some other TV bits and pieces to be found here.

WEBSITES

An interesting website concerning women's history (Yorkshire, mainly) has been brought to our attention by the WDYTYA? team - see the story and the link here. Note that the link doesn't work - the correct address being www.historytoherstory.org.uk.

And that famed genealogical blogger, Dick Eastman, has posted a rather enigmatic little story about a forthcoming website called YouWho. Very odd. Wonder if it'll be of any use to us in the British Isles?

NEWS

I know I've mentioned this before, but I'll give it one last go. It's the Institute of Local & Family History's one-day Conference in Preston which is entitled The Past, Present and Future of Family History.

The Society of Genealogists is running what looks like a pretty substantial one-day course on 5th November on the subject of My Ancestor Was Scottish.

And I am ashamed to say that I have very sloppily overlooked a forthcoming history fair in my own neck of the woods! So thank you to Chris Paton for flagging the same, namely the Northumberland History Fair at Woodhorn Museum, near Ashington, on Monday 24th October. See Chris's post and a very basic announcement on the museum's website.

ARTICLES

I'm not sure who first spotted this, so I don't know who to give the credit to - but you simply must read the story of the discovery of the mass burial site of victims of the Irish Famine. Sad, sad, sad.




No comments:

Post a Comment