Wednesday 13 November 2013

The End


What began back in January 2011 with a tentative first post will end this week, as the 'British & Irish Genealogy Blog' winds down to a close. All a bit sudden, I know, but life moves on for your host ... and I don't suppose the family history world will grind to a halt without me!

Last weekend's instalment will effectively, therefore, be the last post 'proper', and in the next few days I will bring the curtain down for good with a couple of special messages. Today's effort is given over to explaining why I have decided to call it a day and to hand out some advice and a 'thank you' or two.

The reasons aren't complicated. I can assure you that nothing untoward has befallen me or my family, but simply that time is increasingly at a premium now that my new business (see here) is beginning to take off. Back in the Spring I was looking for ways to earn a few extra quid and decided to give this 'handyman' thing a go and, well, though it'll never make me rich, it is beginning to tick over nicely and I have decided to now give it my full attention. Several things will have to make way - and the BI-Gen Blog is one of them. I am pleased to say, however, that I have decided to retain the services of my wife and family.

How ever will you cope with keeping up-to-date with the latest genealogy news, I hear you ask? Well, the reason for setting up BI-Gen back in early 2011 was to fill a gap and provide a 'genea' news service - and I hope I have managed to do that, for a short while at least. In the absence of BI-Gen, though, you may wish to point your browser to some of this little lot - all of which I have to thank for helping me source my stories:


Usually, you can keep up-to-date with these blogs/websites by taking up their 'feeds' via someone like feedly.com. Give it a try - it's quite easy to set up.

In the meantime, I shall try to keep my Twitter feed going (after all, I still like to keep abreast of genealogy news for my own purposes!) - check me out at http://twitter.com/HistoryMick.

And a BIG THANK YOU to those of you out there who have lent their support to my efforts these past few years (you know who you are) - every little contribution was greatly appreciated.

Oh, and look out for a SPECIAL OFFER re. my two publications, the Family & Local History Quiz Book and Dead End Hobby, later this week.

Finally, if you're an advertiser on my site in any shape or form (via the tabs above, or whatever), then please read on...

---ooo---

Note for advertisers:

Having paid for a year's worth of advertising on my blog back in February, I realise that by cutting the blog short in November I am (sort of) renegading on our original agreement ... so I would therefore like to offer you complementary copies of my Family & Local History Quiz Book and Dead End Hobby as an apology. If you would like to take me up on this offer then contact me at micksouthwick @ blueyonder.co.uk and I will get them in the post to you ASAP (at absolutely no charge, inc free p&p).

BTW, even though the blog will peter out this month it will still remain accessible for several months to come, so advertisers may still get 'click-throughs' during this time.


8 comments:

  1. Sorry to see you leave the stage, Mick. Always good to have a true gent around... as your new clients are obviously discovering! I wish you and Angie every success with DailyAid and hope to run into you at a genealogy fair one of these days.

    Take care

    Claire
    Irish Genealogy News/Toolkit

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be missed, big time, Mick. I am glad, however, that your new business is going well. I wish you every good fortune. If you ever get to Canada, please look me up. We have a thriving, vibrant genie society here in Victoria (www.victoriags.org), and it is a pretty good place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mick. Many thanks for your nearly three years of contributions to the genea-blogosphere. It is good to know you'll continue your tweets. All the best for your developing business.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. No explanations required. We're all part of the community, and will reconnect again and again. Best wishes.
    Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mick for the work you've done, and thanks for the list of links. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sorry to see you go Mick, and thanks for the mention. Wish you and your family health, wealth and happiness, from all on the Abroad in the Yard team x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your link Mick. Its the first time for me to visit your blog. I am feeling bad when i see the title "The end". Once again thanks for your work what you have done. san diego bankruptcy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Easy way to fucking know who's a fucking mick or not. The ones with the fucking small dicks are micks. Also the fucking alcoholics are micks.

    ReplyDelete